Through the years, I've been consistently terrible about archiving writings here on the site that bears my name, and it's a thing I'm going to honest-to-God get better about, I promise. Anyway, I wrote these things this week:
- Did a big cover story on The King of Comedy, its place in the history of comedy, and its ongoing influence. Bonus: got to talk to comedy experts Jason Zinoman (of The New York Times) and Mike Sacks (author of the great And Here's the Kicker and Poking a Dead Frog).
- Debuted a new column called "Second Glance," which will pop up every two weeks to spotlight an older film that's particularly noteworthy thanks to an anniversary or new availability or a tie-in with a new release. So, for its 25th anniversary, I wrote about The Rocketeer.
- Reviewed the Independence Day sequel. It's not very good.
- Reviewed Free State of Jones. It's not very good.
- Reviewed The Neon Demon. It is what it is.
- This week's DVD/Blu-ray/VOD guide, including Midnight Special, Embrace of the Serpent, and The Wave.